Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I Am Content With Weakness




shame  
/SHām/
A painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior.


Get him OUT of here!” shrieked Cindy, the music teacher at a class for 3-year-olds in Tiburon. She whirled around, glaring at my son who was lunging forward to get to her. He grabbed around her, at one of the sparkly CDs and t-shirts  in her cabinet. All of the other noisy kids were crowding her too, trying to see the exciting giveaways. But only my son was spinning out of control.

With my six-week-old baby attached to me in a sling, I reached out to catch T, but he jumped away from my grip. I grabbed again and this time got him, falling to the floor with him kicking, yelling and hitting me. I started to cry as I held him, shielding my infant who was still miraculously resting in my sling.

No one acknowledged me. Mothers started to step over me to get out the door. Shame, embarrassment and rejection burnt my insides. Tears flowed. My shaking hands couldn’t get T’s shoes on...how could I get out of this place?

Desperate to get AWAY, I dragged my screaming boy by the feet, out into a hallway. I tried again to put the shoes on, but eventually I gave up as more moms and kids walked by, ignoring our display. I put the hollering T under my arm, flailing, with the baby on the other side, and I hobbled outside. Upon the first gulp of fresh air, T sprang from my grasp running over rocks, behind bushes, toward the busy parking lot. I glanced in through the open window of the classroom to see Cindy glaring out at me, just as I caught T.

What could I say to make her understand our pain? “You KNEW about his challenges,” I sobbed. “I told you...How could you treat us this way?”

“It is YOUR fault, she hollered, pointing her finger at me.Your son isn’t the problem. It’s you! You shouldn’t have brought your baby.”

"My fault," I thought. There was that pain again. So deep. The foot of a heel, pressing into my chest. Stomping me down.

We were attending this music class six weeks after the birth of my third child, and six weeks after T had been kicked out of preschool. Three years after T fought for his life during open heart surgery and two years after his arrhythmia treatment. One year after he was found to have sensory processing disorder, among other challenges. Three days after our new nanny quit and I hadn’t slept more than a few hours the night before.... We needed parents, children, and educators. We needed community. I was searching for a place to just BE.

I drove away with a deep, burning, gushing pain rolling around in my stomach. My fault.

My son is now seven, and I am used to rejection. Being at the other end of a finger or under a heel. The fingers have belonged to preschool teachers, an elementary school counselor, a pastor, relatives and moms in every place imaginable. I have been beside my son. I have been blamed. I have felt my cheeks burn, the tears well up-- I have felt the shame.

“It is my fault.” I feel it everywhere I go. Can you imagine how he feels?

No matter how educated I become, or how many discipline and treatment strategies I try. No matter how many solutions I pursue to help my son. No matter how many therapists support me, no matter how closely I follow and pray to know God better-- I still blame myself for my son’s challenges and his exclusion. And I’m pretty sure that other moms, especially special needs moms, know what I’m talking about.  If I could just be a better, smarter, more patient, more healthy, more EVERYTHING mom, then my son would be OK.

And, it turns out, lots of other people agree with me. I should be better.

But where is the good news?

When my face is shoved into the dirt enough times, when my chest aches with the isolation-- I (strangely) attach to something more powerful, nourishing and richer than I ever imagined. (I wonder if I could find it if I weren’t feeling so much pain?)  God is bigger than any pointing fingers, any inequality, any cruel people, any blame. All God wants from me, is the me whom he made.  The me who I am; vastly imperfect, fully worthy of blame, but wanting forgiveness. He holds me steady, and so I grow. When I attach to God, I shed my pride and the “old me” dies-- I have nothing to prove or defend. I can understand the people who point fingers at me more clearly-- I can see that they are just like me. Confused by this world’s lopsided, broken nature, and needing someone to blame besides themselves.  

Let me be clear-- when the cleat is shoved into my chest (like it was this week), and I am blamed again for all of my child’s, actually all of my family’s, struggles... well I hurt in a way that is almost unbearable. But after the pain, I have finally learned to give thanks to God. The people who hurt me have pointed the way to Him. The flying rocks have shown me which path is NOT for me. I am blessed for the beautiful life I have been given.

I pray that my small story, my dirt, and the gifts that God has given me might be used as an instrument to touch someone in a way that ends the blame and the hurt. I pray for my own heart to be opened enough to allow a forgiving God to enter in...A heart that doesn’t rush to blame. Because this spring, I plan to grow.

Thank God for new seasons.



"Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me,  ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’  I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.  Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”
2 Corinthians chapter 12 v. 8-12

"But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."
Jeremiah 17:7-8

br/>

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

You are going through all of this yet you still took the time to reach out and make sure I was OK with my struggles. Your offer of support meant everything to me, because I know you have been there. You are an amazing mom and an incredible person and your children are so very lucky to have you.
Catharyn

Post a Comment

Other readers will benefit most from your thoughts, not just mine! Please leave comments and help improve this blog. Thank you!