Total Pageviews

Friday, December 28, 2012

Goodbye Christmas





Christmas is over. We made it. I can't believe that I only feel relief. I can say, maybe apologetically, that there are no "post holiday blues" for me.

Though our family's celebration is meant to be about the birth of a savior, Jesus Christ, our experience is often far from Christ-like. We are busy shoppers, rushing from place to place, shoving each other, glued to the internet, crowded in parking lots with horns blaring, rather than a humble donkey plodding along with a pregnant woman and exhausted, devoted father. We are glitter, electric lights, music, sweet, excessive food, parties, alcohol, rather than a chilly dimly lit stable (or by some accounts a cave) where a baby was born beneath a starlit sky. A baby whose life and death and life again are about sacrifice, hope and giving. We throw gifts to as many people as we can remember to get them to. They are meant to be thoughtful, but do we have time to think? We dress up, we go to church, we worship Christ. We try to remember what this is all about. And then the most important part-- we overwhelm our children with a mind-blowing abundance of stuff on December 25th.

Then we watch them self-destruct. In my children's case, we actually see the face of greed, competition, waste, envy. All in one pretty package. Can you relate?

For the past 5 years, I have worked with our county's local family emergency homeless shelter as a volunteer. I have learned that sadly, our community also overwhelms the shelters with gifts that are not needed-- and this only happens at Christmastime. The shelter employees' jobs become twice as hard, just trying to sift through the junk that is dropped off on their door step. They have no storage, so they spend precious time figuring out what to do with all the "gifts," rather than caring for the true needs of families in crisis. Even more ironically, this shelter will close in February because our county is not able to support their existence throughout the year. But the gifts still pile up. That is another blog...

Is it a wonder why special needs kids, or any of us for that matter, struggle during the holidays?

A few years ago, after watching T (our highly sensitive, anxious son) almost pass-out from the agitation and over-stimulation at age four on Christmas day,  my husband and I decided that we needed to "redesign" Christmas. Could our celebration be different? Could we stop purposely overwhelming our children with gifts and excessive-- everything? Maybe Christmas did not need to be about feeling overwhelmed. How did it get to be this way, anyway? And there, once again, is the blessing of our special needs child. It was simple. Slow down. Think for ourselves. Do things differently. Hey, I'm a designer, why did it take me four years to figure that out?

So for a couple of years we ran off to Tahoe for Christmas, bringing only one gift for each child and stocking stuffers. We gradually decorated a tree with all ornaments that we made while gathering at our getaway. We spent the week simply reading stories, skiing, playing games. My sister Alison and her family came to visit, and last year my parents also joined us. But this year was different. We couldn't get away for Christmas because of my husband's work schedule. My family wasn't able to be here. We went to Tahoe for the week before Christmas, only to have a frightening car accident and to find that this year Tahoe seems to aggravate T-- a lot. We couldn't even consider the idea of flying to be with family because traveling is the absolute worst thing for T's anxiety. And actually even having visitors transition into our lives and then back out again is quite hard on him, and therefore us. It is almost as if we need to create a cocoon around ourselves just to survive the season.

After reading this far, have you already thought, "bah humbug?" Maybe I can redeem myself, a little. I recognize the value in most every aspect of the tradition of Christmas. Gift giving, baking, parties, wine, food are all  celebration of community, family, love. And sometimes they are also a celebration of God's great abundance and the greatest gift -- his son, Jesus Christ. Lights, music and even shopping can be beautiful, and they can tell of hope and gratitude. Personally, when I have time (which is seldom these days), I love it all! As a child, I warmly remember sliding through the snow of my Midwestern village, from shop to shop excited to buy the next gift. I remember the anticipation of watching someone open a present that I had wrapped for them and purchased with my own money. Or better yet, a handmade gift. I still love watching people open presents.

But I now see the other side of what Christmas can do to me-- how I can become a mom with a purpose that is lopsided. Trying too hard to please-- everyone. Maybe trying to impress. Ironically, I can even overdo attempting to "do things differently" and I try a little too hard to "keep things simple!" I forget that to me, the holiday is about a savior. I am not the savior. And the gifts, decorations and parties are certainly not going to save me or anyone else. So, for the sake of my family, I need to slow down, breathe, and realign. I need to see how my actions and my attitude affect my children, especially my sensitive child. I need to change.

So how did this year go? Well, honestly, not as well as I hoped. Because T's behavior has been particularly difficult lately, and because of the car accident, I was too stressed. My mind was busy making phone calls, and researching help-- help for T, help for my family, help for my car. I didn't have the mental space to figure out how to simplify, and make things special. Some of the sweet traditions that we have created in the past few years, we had to forego. Frankly because we were too unorganized. We were flailing.  We barely had time to read the Christmas story to our kids more than one or two times. One of our manger scenes (my favorite) never made it out of the closet. And because T "accidentally" saw some gifts ahead of time (he has an uncanny way of being everywhere), I actually bought more than one gift per child this year to save Santa Claus from embarrassment.

Our kids did not behave very well on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. Especially not T. I decided not to cook, so we went out for dinner. We were late to church. We had no extended family in town, and I missed them all, painfully. I did not make our usual Christmas bread on Christmas Eve either because I was too tired and was putting out fires between T and the other kids. I hobbled along, trying to look joyful.

And to top it all off, I got an email on Christmas Eve from our new "special needs expert nanny", who was to start on the Thursday after Christmas. She impersonally informed me that she had suddenly taken another job. Alone in my car in our driveway, I cried, and cried and cried after reading this news (did I think that she was the savior?) I could barely lift my head. It was then that I realized how much I am in need. Hey, do I have special needs?

Maybe that is what Christmas is about-- being in need. And maybe that is why the presents, somewhere along the line, got so out of hand. We all need a lot, but the presents just don't do the trick. We need more. I know that I do. So along comes the birth of a savior...

My husband described our Christmas to his dad over the phone as "the best we could have hoped for." Thank God for his optimism. And he was right. There were many blessings.... Candles held at church, carols sung, stories told, big smiles, exclamations of joy, a tree lit, a family of five, alive (didn't I say that in the last post?) An amazing husband. Love. Phone calls from family. There were big blessings. A savior. Needs met.

I am grateful that we made it through Christmas, and maybe even for the lessons of this complex holiday.  I pray that I find more help for T and more ways to slow down, so that my mind will have the space and my body the energy to be a more thoughtful mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend and neighbor. I am thankful for the birth of a savior during a time when I clearly am in need.

“The Christmas presents once opened are Not So Much Fun as they were while we were in the process of examining, lifting, shaking, thinking about, and opening them. Three hundred sixty-five days later, we try again and find that the same thing has happened. Each time the goal is reached, it becomes Not So Much Fun, and we're off to reach the next one, then the next one, then the next.

That doesn't mean that the goals we have don't count. They do, mostly because they cause us to go through the process and it's the process that makes us wise, happy, or whatever. If we do things in the wrong sort of way, it makes us miserable, angry, confused, and things like that. The goal has to be right for us, and it has to be beneficial, in order to ensure a beneficial process. But aside from that, it's really the process that's important.” 

― Benjamin HoffThe Tao of Pooh


br/>

1 comment :

Granny Nanny Times said...

I love you, Amy. You have taught me so much.

Post a Comment

Other readers will benefit most from your thoughts, not just mine! Please leave comments and help improve this blog. Thank you!